Packing Evaluation— America Trip 2018
There have been many times I've wanted to do a "post-trip-packing" evaluation, but I've never actually gotten around to it. The journey home and the re-acclimation period is always so hectic, it's not surprising this exercise the last thing on my mind. But I set a goal for myself to dissect all my packed belongings (sans toiletries—*bulging eyes emoji*) when I got home from America and document the damage.
I'm so glad I did. I am a visual person, so seeing it all really puts it in perspective.
I am an over-packer by breed. I come from a family of over-packers and the gene is alive and well in me. I try my hardest to be mindful when packing, but towards the deadline of a flight, I end up throwing in those random items "just in case."
Spoiler Alert— I never end up using any of these items.
This post is really just for my own understanding; I swear I'm not trying to bore you to death. If you find it interesting—GREAT! If you find it comical— IT IS! If you have tips or tricks for me, please share them because I am waiting for this whole travel light mantra to sink in and help save my sanity.
Let's see how I did...
Where: USA— North Carolina
Duration: 2.5 weeks
Temperature: High's 30-35 C
- Courtesy of my in-laws, James and I were able to spend four child-free nights in Mexico celebrating our five year wedding anniversary (!!!) which is why a lot of this fun stuff was worn at least once.
- Even though I wore all three of these straw hats at one time or another over the duration of our trip, packing three slightly varying straw hats for any holiday is just absurd.
- I could have gotten by with one swimsuit, one cover-up.
- I packed too many "nice" outfits for this trip home. Realistically, most of our time was spent lounging in comfortable/sporty clothes.
- NOT PICTURED BUT WORN—blue cotton sweatpants shorts, striped cotton button down shirt (mosquitos), underwear, long socks (mosquitos)
- NOT PICTURED BUT UNWORN: black one-piece swimsuit, black leather crossbody bag
- My children don't need more than one swimsuit each.
- WHY on earth did I pack so many socks?
- FFS, it was too hot for a bonnet.
- Theo's go-to outfit was denim bloomers, a cotton t-shirt, and his saltwater sandals. Olive (being the queen that she is) spiced it up a bit wearing various dresses, rompers, and top/bloomers while in America, but essentially "each outfit" only got worn once.
- Most anything long-sleeve or trouser-length didn't get worn because it was too hot. (Except for a couple of long-sleeve tops that got worn during naps inside with AC.)